Sunday, July 15, 2018

Forgiveness

I learned over the years that forgiveness is for the person who chooses to forgive. What if it isn't just about that person but the other party you choose to forgive? Yes, you can say well what if the person isn't sorry. That's fair. However, stop to think of you choosing to forgive someone else is in essence freeing the person to no longer feel guilty for what they have done. What if this is allowing the other person to move on also. Anyone can hurt you, it takes a bigger person to say sorry and say I forgive you.

Growing up, I lived with my mom. She was with my Dad but they weren't married and didn't live together. That dynamic was difficult. Add the constant arguing and there was a lot of hurt and anger. And not enough forgiveness. I grew up in this. I listened to my Dad say sorry like it was just an every day word. I wondered to myself most days if he was. I know my mom never really believed him. Generally, we mimic what our parents do. So when someone hurt me as I got older, hearing the word sorry didn't really mean anything. So listening to someone else tell me "I'm sorry" didn't always have the affect the other party expected. It was just another word to me.

Take this moment to think back to those two simple words and add forgiveness to it. What's your concept? Maybe, it's time to change your perspective. I know it's time to change mine.


"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." Matthew 6:14

No comments:

Mommyhood

I struggle a lot with being a single mom.  To some it may seem I have this down pat but honestly, I'm just learning as the days go by. I...